Here at City Catering Southampton we continuously invest our resources in creating healthy menus and promoting a variety of food choices to pupils. Our menus offer two or three-course lunches (depending on the school’s preference), with a vegetarian option and choice of desserts. Fresh drinking water is always available, along with freshly baked bread every day, and a salad selection for children to help themselves to.
Since September 2014, all pupils in Reception Year 1 and Year 2 are automatically entitled to a free school meal, under the government’s Universal Infant School Meals (UIFSM) policy. The annual saving for your household budget is approximately £400 per child. While helping our city’s youngest school children to make the right food choices, UIFSM also plays an essential role in the nation’s fight to reduce levels of obesity.
Explore primary school meals with your child by downloading Lunchero today.
There are many reasons why children benefit from staying for school lunches. Children use up a great deal of energy during a full school day. They need to concentrate during lessons, let off steam at play times and recharge their batteries for the afternoon. Eating a school meal helps to achieve this and provides the following:
- Teaches children the social skills involved in dining at the table with their friends and peers, as well as how to make positive food choices. Learning need not stop when the lunch bell rings.
- Enhanced learning abilities – studies have shown that children concentrate better in lessons if they have had a filling lunchtime meal.
- A selection of homemade products that provide choice and variety to suit all tastes.
- Allows a child to relax in a safe, supervised environment with friends.
- Convenience – saving you time and money preparing packed lunches.
- Hot, healthy and nutritionally balanced meals
- Value for money with our two-course meals.
Working in partnership with 47 Infant, Junior, Primary, Secondary and SEN schools across Southampton. Visit our school’s directory, below, to explore this season’s school menus – created in full consultation with each member school, to meet the needs and preferences of its pupils.